Annals of Thoracic Medicine
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2007  |  Volume : 2  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 99--102

Blocking leukotrienes optimize asthma control: The BLOC survey


Majdy M Idrees1, Mohamed S Al Moamary2 
1 Riyadh Military Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences and King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Majdy M Idrees
Riyadh Military Hospital, PO Box 7897 (Local C-110), Riyadh 11159
Saudi Arabia

Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate asthma control after the introduction of a leukotriene modifier (Montelukast), in addition to the current controller asthma therapies, in patients with inadequately controlled mild-to-moderate persistent asthma. Asthma control and patient perception were assessed prior to, and 4 weeks after, the introduction of Montelukast, and the pre-introduction and post-introduction results were compared. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional, observational study collected information on 1,490 eligible adult asthmatic patients in Saudi Arabia. The eligibility criteria included patients aged 15 years or more with symptomatic mild-to-moderate persistent asthma despite treatment with inhaled corticosteroids with or without long-acting beta agonist; also, the patient should attend the initial visit and follow-up visits after at least 4 weeks. Results: Of the 1,490 eligible patients, 79.5% received inhaled corticosteroids alone, and the remaining 20.5% received combination of inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting bronchodilator. Despite the treatment with daily controller medications, asthma symptoms persisted in more than two-thirds of the study population. Upon adding Montelukast, more than 80% of patients reported improvement in symptoms, which was consistent in all patients irrespective of corticosteroid type or dose (stratum) or the addition of long-acting β2-agonist. At the follow-up visit, 92.2% of patients reported that they felt better on Montelukast. Conclusion: Leukotriene modifier Montelukast has significant additive benefits in the management of patients who suffer from mild-to-moderate asthma and who are inadequately controlled on inhaled corticosteroids therapy with or without long-acting bronchodilator.


How to cite this article:
Idrees MM, Al Moamary MS. Blocking leukotrienes optimize asthma control: The BLOC survey.Ann Thorac Med 2007;2:99-102


How to cite this URL:
Idrees MM, Al Moamary MS. Blocking leukotrienes optimize asthma control: The BLOC survey. Ann Thorac Med [serial online] 2007 [cited 2022 Oct 5 ];2:99-102
Available from: https://www.thoracicmedicine.org/article.asp?issn=1817-1737;year=2007;volume=2;issue=3;spage=99;epage=102;aulast=Idrees;type=0